Monday, May 01, 2006

Happy May Day!

Back when I was just a tot (longer ago than I care to think), every April 30th, my brothers and I used to fold colored paper (yes, we had paper back then, it wasn't that long ago) into cone-shaped baskets, fill them with flowers from the yard with their stems wrapped in wet paper towels and then plastic wrap. Early the next morning, on May Day, we'd hang our floral offerings on the neighbor's doors, with crayon-scrawled cards saying, "Happy May Day!"

It's a pity that the charming tradition of celebrating spring has faded. Perhaps the association of May Day with the Communist regimes had something to do with that. I don't know.

But this morning I cut a fat bouquet of tulips, bleeding hearts, wild iris, and greenery and put it on the secretary's desk. Every day is a good day to make someone's day.

So why not? If you have the chance and some spare change, stop at the grocery store on the way home and pick up a bouquet to brighten someone's day. Your own. Your neighbor's. Your significant other's.

Happy May Day, everyone!

No comments: